When you’re involved in an accident or your car has been vandalized or stolen, you may not know where to start or what to expect. The call to your insurance company or claims department to open a claim starts a process that can be confusing and feel overwhelming. While the claims process may vary from carrier to carrier and depending on the type of claim, the basic process is pretty similar for every claim. This step-by-step guide will help you navigate the claims confusion.
Steps to Follow After an Auto Accident
- CHECK YOURSELF FOR INJURIES
- CHECK ON THE WELL-BEING OF YOUR PASSENGERS
- GET TO SAFETY
- CALL 911
- WAIT FOR HELP
- EXCHANGE INFORMATION
Once the business of the accident is taken care of, you will need to file the claim. That is where we come in! When you call into our office stating that you need to make a claim, we put our full attention to you. We try to make it as fast as possible for people and we always make these calls a priority. Of course to make it even easier for our clients, we have created our very own mobile app!
With the app, you have access to your auto id cards and other policy information making it easy to exchange information and you can even file your claim!
What Happens After You File the Claim
Accidents happen. As an insurance agency, that is a fact of life that we have come to understand very well. That’s why we warn you of the dangers of the “it won’t happen to me” mentality and urge you to always stay prepared. If you can’t avoid them, our goal is to make sure you get through claims or unfavorable situations in the most effective and efficient way possible. Here’s what you can expect during the claims process.
- We collect all of the information you have ready. What happened, any photos, driver info, etc. We may even sometimes suggest getting an estimate to make sure the damage is over your deductible.
- We will discuss your options with you so you understand everything.
- We will then call whoever’s insurance carrier who is at fault
- Once we call the carriers and there is a claim placed, we will call you back directly with that claim information for your records. We will also let you know that an adjuster will be in touch with you directly within 24-48 hours.
- Two days after you place your claim we will follow up with you over the phone to make sure that the process is going smoothly, that the adjuster has reached out and to see if you have any questions.
- 30 days later we will send you a survey for you to fill out because we want to make sure we are always improving on what we can do to make this claims process easier for you.
However, please feel free to contact us anytime. We think of you as family and family is important to us. If you call, we answer and take time to discuss whatever you need. If you stop by, we welcome you. You’re not an interruption; you’re the reason we’re here.