House burglary is one of the most prevalent crimes in the United States. Over 14,500 offenses of burglary occurred in Connecticut last year, according to state burglary statistics, an amount which is second only to larceny theft in types of offenses in the state.
With criminals constantly plotting ways into your home, house safety is becoming more critical. Here are some home safety tips on how to burglar proof your home.
- Lock windows when closed – even when you are home, your windows should be locked when they are not open. It does not matter how high the window is; if it is open/unlocked, a bugler can find his way in. Leaving them locked all the time also makes sure that you do not forget to secure an opening in your house whenever you depart it.
- Provide noise obstacles near doors – even locking your house when you go to sleep does not guarantee that you, your family, and your belongings are safe. A good safeguard is to provide an obstacle in a doorway that makes resonating noise. That will alert you when someone tries to open the door at all times.
- Avoid outdoor keys – some secret hiding spots for keys are a good way for you to get in your house if you lost or forgot your key. However, if you can access it, then a burglar can as well. If you want to keep a failsafe key outside your house, leave it with a neighbor where it can be monitored.
- Utilize landscaping – the shrubbery around your house improves its curb-appeal, but it can also be a defense mechanism. Putting bushes, trees, or other tall plants in front of your windows will provide a tougher obstacle for burglars to break into your windows. A burglar’s struggle with plants can also be a way to notify you that someone is trying to break into your house.
- Close shades when you are not home – burglars evaluate a house’s contents by peeking inside. If you take that away from them, they will be less inclined to want to steal your property. Also try to keep your most valuable things, like televisions, game systems, and computers, away from windows.
- Invest in home alarm systems – burglars are less-likely to break into houses that have an alarm system. Investing one can be the electronic watchdog over your house and its belongings. Some insurance companies are also giving homeowner’s policy discounts to people who have alarm systems.
These tips will make your home more secure so you can sleep easier at night. Also be sure to ask about Paradiso Insurance’s homeowner’s policies by calling (888) 863-2370 or getting a free quote online today!