Spring has sprung! Time to unwrap yourself from the blankets and put out the fireplace until next winter. Your windows have been sealed shut for a while now, and your family may have seen a few episodes of illness over this winter. Sounds like it’s time for good clean, top to bottom, to ward off what winter has left behind!
Today we will be talking about a few all-natural and safe cleaning products for your home that you can stir up yourself! Why not just buy regular cleaning products you ask? There seems to be 2 main reasons why people choose to the DIY route instead of going with store-bought cleaners.
- It saves you money. Buying the all-natural essentials in bulk will outlast store bought cleaners and cost you less in the long run!
- You can control the ingredients. This allows you to avoid toxins found in many store-bought cleaners.
If you are feeling as good as we are about saving money and protecting your health, you have to check out these 3 all-natural cleaning solutions for your home!
Homemade Bathtub Scrub
What you need:
- 3 dozen eggshells to make about 3/4 cup of calcium powder
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- 15-20 drops of your favorite pure essential oil – (something citrusy is recommended)
- Rinse the eggshells well with plain tap water.
- Place 3-4 gallons of water in a large stockpot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a light simmer, then carefully lower the eggshells into the water and let them cook for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove the shells carefully and set them upside down on a baking sheet. Let them air dry for 8-12 hours, then place them in a 200° degree oven until they are completely dry, about 10 minutes.
- Working in batches, place the shells in a coffee grinder and process until they are completely powdered.
- Toss the finished calcium powder with the baking soda and essential oils and mix until the oils are well-distributed and no clumps exist.
- Spoon into a pint-sized mason jar, then lay a piece of plastic wire mesh over the mouth. Screw on the regular lid to fit very tightly and store in a cool, dark place. To use, simply remove the lid and rescrew on the ring to create a shaker.
What you need:
- ¾ cup hydrogen peroxide (3%)
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 10-15 drops lemon essential oil
- ¾ cup baking soda
- 7 cups water
What to do:
- Combine all ingredients in a container that can hold ½ gallon or more
- Shake well
- For laundry use 1 cup per load and wash on the hottest water setting available
Natural Carpet Cleaner
What you need:
- 2 cups Borax
- 1 cup baking soda
- Essential oil (of choice- 10 drops)
- Suggested oils: peppermint, rosemary, lavender, lemon, tea tree.
- Add all of your ingredients into a mixing bowl
- Stir and smash up any clumps
- Sprinkle over carpets
- Let sit for half an hour
- Vacuum it up
There you have it. 3 mighty powerful and very natural home cleaners. If you’ve read up until this point, you must take pride in keeping a naturally sparkling clean home! This means you likely to also take pride in protecting that home. Just like your all natural cleaners, working with your local Connecticut independent agent will save you money in the long run. We get things done the right way, just like your all natural cleaners, as we eliminate long term risks! Give us a call today so we can clean up your policy!