Having a fire place or a wood-burning in your home can really come in handy during the fast approaching winter months. However these features in your home need to be properly cared for and maintained,otherwise they pose a serious fire risk…
Before using your fireplace and/or wood-burning stove, you should have it inspected and thoroughly cleaned. Creosote, a tar-like by product of burning wood, builds up in chimney and stove flues very quickly, and can easily spark a fire. Furthermore, make sure that you don’t use such things as soft wood or paper in your fire. Sure they are great to start the process, but once it’s going strong, stick to regular fire wood. Using soft wood or paper will clog or contribute to cracking a flue or liner.
And one more thing, with fireplaces and wood stoves, carbon monoxide becomes a risk as well, so make sure you have fire/smoke and carbon monoxide detectors properly installed throughout your home.
Finally,always remember that a professional is a valuable source of safety and insurance information. Don’t think twice about contacting an expert at Paradiso Insurance, that’s what they’re there for!