Most people know that electric fires are a risk to your home. However, many do not realize the common factors that cause these fires. Splayed extension cords and electric heaters are not the only things that cause fires. Here are some of the less commonly notable factors that can cause electrical fires, as well as some tips and precautions on ways to prevent such occurrences.
Routine Inspections on Electronics
Faulty plugs and cords on electronic equipment is one of the leading causes of electrical fires. Faulty cords can lead to overheating and sparks, which can ignite fires. In the instance of appliances, these types of fires can quickly spread through walls and even with just small traces of dusts. The solution is to replace faulty electronics immediately.
Old and Loose Wiring
This is more likely to be an issue in older houses for obvious reasons. Normally these types of houses use fuse boxes. Loose wiring is revealed through flickering lights and repeatedly blown fuses. If you are having issues then you should get an electrician to look over your home. Loose wiring can result in an electrical fire.
Make sure you don’t accidentally overburden an outlet. Plugging two power strips (12 total plug-ins) into a two-plug outlet is not a good practice and should always be avoided, as overloading an outlet can lead to shorts and overheating.
Keep a Fire Extinguisher On-Hand
Electrical fires can happen, and when they do, it’s important that you be prepared. Be sure that your fire extinguisher is rated properly (A-B-C). That way, you can put out a fire in the rare instance one ever does happen.
Always Keep Your Home Insured Against a Fire
Let’s face it, we can do everything in our power to lower the risk of an electrical fire, but there is no way to completely eliminate the risk. Making sure your home is insured with the right amount of homeowner’s insurance coverage will keep your family’s welfare protected. One simple step can lead to a much easier time when disaster strikes. *