While the temperature drops into the single digits over the next few days, chances are you’ll be starting a fire. And while a nice, warm fire is great this time of year to cozy up next to, we always have to remember that it is indeed an open flame and can be quite dangerous if not tended to carefully.
Here are several safety tips courtesy of the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission for homeowners with fireplaces in the home.
- Do not overload the fireplace. Large fires can lead to overheating of wall or roof materials, particularly if the fireplace is constructed of metal.
- Always use a screen around the fireplace to keep sparks from flying out and to protect children and adults from accidental clothing ignition.
- Keep flammable materials such as carpets, pillows, furniture or papers away from the fireplace area. Be sure the Christmas tree is not close enough to be ignited by a spark. Be especially careful of accidentally igniting holiday wrapping papers.
- Make sure that the fire is out completely before retiring for the night or when leaving the house.
Don’t let a cold night and a hot fire lead to a CT homeowners insurance claim this New Year’s Eve!