What a beautiful day it is today, and that wacky weather from yesterday is gone. (It was hailing!) That only means one thing for some of you- it’s time to take your ride out on the winding roads of Connecticut! Motorcycles are truly astonishing pieces of machinery, however they can also be very dangerous. If anything happens to you or your bike out on the road, hopefully you have the proper motorcycle insurance that covers you completely.
Riding a motorcycle is a wonderful feeling of freedom on the open road, however the smallest of accidents can have the most profound consequences to you, your bike, or both. Here are some common rider clothing and equipment that will keep you safe out on the road:
- Helmet — A full-face helmet provides the most protection. Thirty-five percent of all crashes show major impact on the chin-bar area. However, 3/4- and 1/2-helmets also are available.
- Gloves — Commonly made of leather, cordura, or Kevlar, or some combination. Some include carbon fiber knuckle protection or other forms of rigid padding.
- Jackets — Generally made from leather, ballistic nylon, cordura, Kevlar or other synthetics. Most jackets include special padding on elbows, spine and shoulders. Airbag system technology is now available fitted to jackets and vests for accident protection and impact protection for both riders and pillions.
- Pants — Made of the same material as jackets, usually including special protection for the knees and hips.
- Boots — Especially those for sport riding, include reinforcement and plastic caps on the ankles, and toe area. Boots should always have a rubber sole (as opposed to leather or other less-flexible materials). Despite their toughness and protection, most boots are very lightweight.
- Goggles or Helmet Visor — Eye protection is of utmost importance – an insect or a kicked-up pebble in the eye at speed has enough momentum to cause significant damage. Such an event could easily cause the rider to lose control and crash.
Whether you love import speed bikes or are a passionate and proud Harley chopper enthusiast, Paradiso Insurance can tailor the perfect motorcycle policy for you today.