You’re an animal lover, a dog lover at that, and we totally understand! Here at Paradiso Insurance, we are dog lovers, too! In fact, any time you visit our insurance agency, our office pups will be here to visit with you. If you haven’t met them already, you should stop in sometime to meet Max and Piper! They’re a big part of the extended Paradiso family.
If you’re like us, then you take special care of your dogs, because they’ve become a part of your family over time. Have you ever considered a healthier alternative to your dog biscuits though? We certainly have, and today we wanted to share some of our favorite homemade DIY dog biscuit recipes, that you can take care of yourself right from home! Not to mention, your dogs will probably find them much tastier too!
Why Homemade DIY Dog Biscuits?
As we mentioned, the biscuits that you make at home are much healthier for your dogs then the ones you can buy at a store. You get full control over what goes into a recipe, and ensure that your snacks are nutritious for your pups. Additionally, you can prevent unhealthy additives from being thrown into the mix. Trust us, your pup will love the taste too! Just be sure to consider things like your dog’s allergies, and be sure to avoid any ingredients that could be problematic when making your own DIY dog biscuits.
DIY Dog Biscuit Recipes
Our first favorite recipe comes from Cesar’s Way, and is as follows:
- 2 ½ cups whole wheat flour (substitute regular flour or oats if your dog is sensitive to wheat)
- 1 tsp. salt (or less)
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. Beef or chicken Bouillon granules (can substitute beef or chicken broth/stock)
- ½ cup hot water
- Optional: Add bacon or chicken broth, eggs, oats, liver powder, wheat germ, shredded cheese, bacon bits, to (your dog’s) taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Dissolve bouillon in hot water
- Add remaining ingredients
- Knead dough until it forms a ball (approximately 3 minutes)
- Roll dough until ½ inch thick
- Cut into slices or bone shapes (you can purchase a bone shaped cookie cutter to make shapes with)
- Place dough pieces on lightly greased cookie sheet
- Cook for 30 minutes
Our next favorite DIY dog biscuit recipe comes from Pinch of Yum, and has a special glaze on top too! Here’s how to make them:
- 1 cup pumpkin
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup oil*
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons bacon grease, coconut oil, chicken fat, or any other fat that will solidify at room temperature, melted
- 1/4 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2. Combine pumpkin, peanut butter, eggs, and oil in a bowl. Add in baking soda and whole wheat flour. Stir until a stiff dough forms. Knead dough or mix just until flour is incorporated.
- 3. Roll out dough with a rolling pin and use a cookie cutter to cut out dog bone shapes, or just bake into little circles like cookies. Bake for 15 minutes.
- 4. Whisk the bacon grease and peanut butter until very smooth. Drizzle over the treats and cool till glaze hardens (it does best in the fridge or freezer).
Max and Piper really loved our homemade DIY dog biscuits, and we hope your pups do too! Remember, if you’d ever like to stop in to meet Max or Piper, we are open from Monday to Friday from 8:30 AM to 5:30 PM. Additionally, if you ever need help on your Connecticut insurance, our professional insurance agents are available during those hours as well, in case you decide to stop in. We love having visitors at our agency, so we can’t wait to see you on your next stop! If you’ve never been to our agency before, you can get directions to find us today!