Winter is well underway, and the holiday season is coming to a close. Although, if you’re struggling to find a local snow removal service to take care of your business, then that could certainly be a problem. Finding the right snow removal service can be a bit tricky, but if you have the right knowledge and approach, you can find a snow removal service that can properly take care of your home or business. That is very important too, because if someone slips or falls on your property, you can be held liable (for homeowners, or commercial business owners too). For that reason, we wanted to give you some advice on looking for the right snow removal service, in case you haven’t found one quite yet.
4 Qualities of a Great Snow Removal Business
In order to know that you can trust the snow removal service that you hire, we suggest you look for these four qualities in companies you are interested in using:
- Communication – Some snow removal companies are also general landscaping companies that cover a wide range of service. The only difference is that snow removal is much more urgent, so be sure you find a company that focuses on communicating with their customers. Companies that take the extra step for email notifications are certainly worth considering.
- Efficiency – There are many ways to remove snow and ice from a property, so efficiency is another important factor to consider. One company may charge you $100 an hour but could take four hours to do the job, while another company could charge you $200 an hour and take only one hour to get the same job done. It all depends on the skill level of laborers and quality of the business’ equipment.
- Attention to Detail – Winter weather is, for the most part, unpredictable, so it’s best that your snow removal service isn’t unpredictable as well. Running a snow removal business isn’t exactly easy, because there’s a lot of risk with weather conditions, reliability, and competition of course. When selecting the right company, be sure to look for the one that pays the most close attention to detail, so you won’t have to face any unexpected situations.
- Timing – Most snow removal services take care of the job during the wee hours of the morning, because they understand how important timeliness can be. If you’re running a business, the snow needs to be removed well before you open your doors so your customers don’t face the risk of falling. And of course, as a homeowner, you need your driveway plowed before you leave for work in the morning, or you could risk not being able to get out of the driveway.
6 Tips on Choosing a Snow Removal Service
Snow falls or ice can be detrimental to your property if not properly taken care of, so we wanted to provide you with a few tips on looking for a service that can properly take care of it. Here’s what you could look out for:
- Turnaround time – If a storm happens, it’s important to know how long the company will take to arrive for cleanup after it first snows. They should always guarantee the responses time, and normally you will hear times in the range of one to three hours.
- Their services – It’s always important to check out the company’s list of services, because not all companies are full service when it comes to snow removal. You should have the company break down how they can help you to ensure you’re property is properly taken care of this winter.
- Ask questions – If you’re still unsure if the company is a right fit, start asking questions. You could ask if they clear parking lots, sidewalks and other entrances of snow and ice. You could ask if the company uses de-icer products or sprays. You could also ask about their ice control, where they haul snow, and if they are strictly focused on snow/ice removal, or if that niche is a side pull for their business. It’s important to know exactly what you’re getting into before signing any paperwork, so be sure to ask whatever questions you see fit.
- Be sure they’re insured – Every landscaping business should be able to provide proof of insurance if you ask. If they cannot, it’s best to look away. If you decide to work with a company that doesn’t have the right protection, it could cause you serious issues if they get into an accident, slip, or fall while on your property.
- Tracking work – Some companies take the time to track both their employees and their equipment, which is great! If the company you choose tracks these things, then they’ll be able to provide proof that the site was serviced at the time you agreed on, in case that becomes important later on.
- Safety first – If everything else is looking good, and the company puts safety first as well, then this is likely a great fit for you. All of the company’s operators should be trained in safety and how to prevent accidents, and if you’re unsure if this is the case, you could simply ask.
It’s important to hire a snow removal company that you trust. Look for one that is meticulous, timely, and puts safety first and is properly insured. Of course, snowy weather is unpredictable as we mentioned, and while hiring the right company will help you stay free from claims in the long run, we can’t always predict when things may go wrong. For that matter, it’s still very important to ensure you have the proper coverage on your business’s commercial insurance policy, or the right coverage on your homeowner’s policy as well.
If you want to reconsider your coverage or obtain a free quote for a new policy, you can get started with the help of our agents today!