05 Apr Bikes for Reading at Stafford Elementary
Education, reading especially, is key to strong cognitive development. When children read they are doing more than just hearing a story. Reading strengthens many areas such as:
- Learning about words and language
- Listening skills
- Expanded vocabulary
- Gaining knowledge on a variety of topics
- Exposure to a variety of writing styles
- Exploring moral and social issues and behaviors
Here at Paradiso Insurance we are excited to announce “Bikes for Reading” at Stafford Elementary School. During the months of April, May, and June we will be sponsoring the Stafford Elementary reading program as we raffle off bikes to students who have completed over 70 hours of reading. Supporting our community is very important to us, and what better way is there for us to get involved than getting children excited about reading!? This raffle is open to students of Stafford Elementary in grades 2-5. Please share this blog to help spread the word about “Bikes for Reading” so we can make a big push for reading as the school year wraps up!
Ways to Enhance Your Child’s Reading Experience
If you and your child have just begun reading together, here are a few helpful tips to enhance this experience:
- Set the stage: talk about what you read yesterday and what might happen next
- Wait to ask: defer questions until after reading, unless the question is necessary to understanding what is happening. This will keep your child fully engaged.
- Relate: talk about how a book can relate to one that you’ve read in the past by discussing the similarities and differences.
- Imagine: ask the child to imagine what he or she may do in a situation being faced by a character.
- Share Feelings: offer your own reaction to what is happening in the book and invite the child to do the same.
- Stop at Suspense: stop reading the book at a suspenseful point so the child will be eager for the next reading session.
Thank you for helping us support our community here in Stafford Springs, Connecticut. We are looking forward to giving away bikes to these deserving students as we stand behind the importance of early childhood reading and education.