During this time of the year, we see some slip and fall claims centered around commercial insurance policies. With the winter weather, slips and falls are much more likely to happen, and can cause a commercial claim on your business if one of your employees or customers falls on your property. To make sure to keep everyone safe, here’s our best tips on workplace winter safety.
Watch out for Harsh Weather
The first step to workplace winter safety is keeping an eye on the weather. As soon as you see any of these warnings, that’s when you know your business needs to stay prepared:
- Winter storm
- Ice storm
- Blizzards and blizzard warnings
- Winter storm watch or warning
The next step in workplace winter safety is to minimize risks associated with winter weather. To do so, we must recognize vulnerable spots in our businesses, and take action accordingly. Here’s a few steps you can take to make sure your business is safe:
- Inspect your building for any weak areas that could lead to structural damage due to a storm. This could include leaks in the roofs, cracks on or near doors/windows, and any loose trim on the outside of the building because that could blow off and injure someone.
- Make sure snow and ice are regularly removed from any sidewalks, entryways, and your roof. It’s best to hire a professional team to clean your roof if you can’t safely reach all of it. And it’s very important to properly maintain walkways so that customers don’t slip and file a lawsuit.
- Compile an emergency phone number list. This could include the local fire department, your insurance company, the landlord, electrician, plumber, a snow removal team, and some local utility companies – just in case.
- Make sure you have the proper insurance coverage, that way if your business takes damage from a storm or someone does have a slip and fall accident, you will have the protection in place that you need.
Speaking of which, if you have any questions on your insurance, you need to make a change, or you’d like to request a free quote, please feel free to call our insurance agency any time at 860-684-5270. Additionally, if you’d like to learn more about slip and fall accidents, simply click the banner below.