Cooking in the kitchen? Believe it or not, but the number one cause of many home fires stem from this activity, especially grease fires! Concerned? With the proper safety, technique and Connecticut homeowners insurance in place, you may not have to deal with the issue or the financial losses associated with it.
Here are a few tips to prevent a fire from happening:
• Always work in a clean area, especially around the stove.
• Make sure you do not “overheat” the oil you are using. Different types may mean different temperatures!
• Use extreme caution when you put food into grease on the stove. You wouldn’t want to get splashed and burned.
• Use a screen to cover the pan to reduce the chance of splatters.
• NEVER use water to put out a grease fire. It will make it worse.
• Keep pan lids handy while cooking. They are the quickest way to smother a fire.
For those times that you do face the flames, your Connecticut homeowners insurance will be there to fall back on. For more information on home insurance and coverage options, contact our agency. You can give us a call at 800-660-2991 or fill out the free quote form!