Did you know that the Summer months are very popular for break-ins? Yup, that’s right, summertime is the most popular time of the month for robberies along with home and car break-ins. Why? Well think about it… what time of the year are the kids out of school and 95% of us are on vacation? Summer time!
In fact, Friday’s are the most popular days for burglaries to occur, according to new insurance claim data. Furthermore, the month of August experiences the highest number of home thefts during the entire calendar year. So before you hit the open road on your next vacation getaway, there are a few things you may want to consider to help protect your home.
So How Can You Prevent A Break-In?
Now as for Fridays and your CT homeowners insurance, let’s take a further look. In this scenario, you work all week and have fun plans ahead for the weekend in the form of a getaway to a lake cabin up in Vermont. When are you going to leave for this trip? Chances are, it’ll be on Friday afternoon, maybe after taking a half day and leaving the office early. Unfortunately though, these burglars are fully aware of this and more often than not choose that initial time frame to breakin.
Here are a few tips that we’ve found help protecting your house from the outside.
- Walk around the exterior of your home & look for any weaknesses.
- Keep your grills, cars, bikes and tools in the garage or locked up safely.
- Keep your curtains closed on all windows.
- Install motion sensor lighting around your home.
- Get to know your neighbors.
- Secure any vehicles that you will be leaving behind.
Here are a few tips that we’ve found help protect your house from the inside.
- Keep all doors and windows closed & locked at all times.
- Make sure you’ve changed the locks if you’ve just moved into a new place.
- Secure valuables in a lockbox.
- Don’t label your personal keys or hide spares outsides.
- Invest in a home security system.
Here are a few tips that we’ve found help protect your house while on vacation.
- Triple check that all your doors and windows are locked before you leave.
- Talk with a trusted neighbor to watch over your house.
- Put timers on your lights.
- Lock your garage door and disconnect the automatic door if you have one.
- Don’t advertise your trip on social media.
While we want you to enjoy your summer and the relaxation that comes along with it, we also want to make sure that your CT home is protected. We hope that these tips help keep your home and valuables safe, and prevent unwanted intruders from putting your property and home at risk! If you have any questions about your coverage on your home or if you’re new to Paradiso Insurance and would like a no-obligation quote, please contact the office at 860-684-5270 or click here to send us a message. Our licensed agents are standing by to assist you with all of your insurance needs.