May 31st is No Tobacco Day! Of course we are recognizing this day at Paradiso Insurance – this is the perfect day to begin your journey towards a tobacco-free lifestyle! If you are a smoker, you may feel like it cannot be done but our agency begs to differ. There are a number of ways to quit smoking – and a number of solutions to keep you going strong and on track.
Here are a few tips that will help you nix the nicotine:
• Replace the craving. Sometimes, this replacement may be sugar, carbs or simply a lollipop. Whatever works for you, continue to turn to this replacement until your cravings subside.
• Measure victory as you go – and reward yourself! If you are smoke-free for a week, buy yourself a pair of shoes you have been eyeing. If you are smoke-free for a month, have your teeth whitened!
• Tell all friends and family about your decision and have them hold you accountable.
• Stay active! Exercising helps keep you busy and your mind off cigarettes.
• Clean your home from top to bottom to rid of the smoke smell.
• Turn to nicotine gum, the patch or other alternatives to wean yourself off of nicotine slowly.
• Find an oral substitute, whether that is a mint, hard candy, carrot sticks, gum, etc.
Keep in mind: If you quit smoking, your health is not the ONLY aspect to benefit. Most life insurance companies will charge smokers MORE for life and health insurance (due to the risks attached to smoking.) If you are smoke-free a year, our agency may be able to reward you with a lower premium. Never hesitate to update our agency on your overall health and habits – we want to save you money and congratulate you on your success!