Yup, you read that correctly, I said heat wave. Even though the actual season on summer isn’t for another couple of weeks, it seems as though the heat is here for another year. So while we crank up the air conditioning, put a few more ice cubes in our iced tea, and, if you’re lucky, take a nice long dip in the pool, we always need to be conscious of how dangerous the heat can be.
High heat and humidity can wreak havoc on your body. Even though you may not notice it, you’re loosing precious fluids and electrolytes as your body tries to cool itself. That’s why heat waves are so dangerous. What’s a heat wave you ask? Well it’s a stretch of heat that breaks ninety degrees consistently for three days or more.
So what can you do for yourself and your family to beat the heat, and hopefully avoid health issues caused by the heat that could result in a CT health insurance claim? Here’s some tips from ready.gov
• Make sure your window air conditioners fit nice and snug
• Ensure that all doors and window sills are sealed with weather-strips to keep cool air in.
• Keep storm windows up all year- period.
• If you live in a more urban area, you’re probably at a greater risk from the effects of a prolonged heat wave than if you live in a rural neighborhood.
• Getting trained in first aid can’t hurt, especially to learn how to treat heat-related emergencies.
So hopefully you stay nice and cool during this heat wave, and if you have questions or concerns regarding any CT insurance, give us a call!