When you start to look at purchasing auto insurance or shopping your current auto policy, you probably have a lot of questions. And if that’s true, trust me, it’s a good thing. Why? Well, because your auto insurance coverage is very important in protecting your financial future. Chances are you probably feel lost when glancing at your present declaration page. So first and foremost, make sure to reach out to an independent insurance agent because it will allow you to shop out many insurance carriers, well as will give you the most options. Take a look at these insurance tips below to help eliminate your confusion and to learn what you need in your auto insurance policy that fits for you and your family.
1. When considering what options/choices you really need to include within your auto policy, be sure to see if towing is a coverage you really need (I personally would recommend to you to purchase AAA because its better coverage and doesn’t interfere with your auto rates if you need to use it). Often, towing is a coverage already included in certain types of auto accidents. If you already belong to certain auto assistance agencies, they may already provide you with this coverage so there is no reason to have it on your auto policy. Furthermore, it’s not financially beneficial for you to include this extra coverage, so that’s why I push people to AAA for towing.
2. Connecticut has a factor in your insurance premiums known as the “insurance score.” Now, if you can afford it, try to pay your automobile insurance premium in full. By paying in full, you may be able to avoid the fees and handling charges that may be added by paying with monthly payments. This will also help out with the insurance score! Most insurance carriers here in Connecticut give a very nice discount for paying in full, so definitely look into that because it could really help you out in the long run.
3. Another great tip is to utilize public transportation or carpool to the office with co-workers. If you can provide a document that you utilize such a service, the insurance carriers look at you as low risk and several carriers give discounts for this. Remember to ask your independent agent about this great tip!
4. Take a class on safe and defensive driving. This is another great way to save money on your insurance premiums- almost every insurance carrier gives you discounts for taking this course. The more knowledge you have behind the wheel, the safer a driver you can be and the safer the roads will be as a result. But aside from the financial savings, isn’t it just a good idea to learn about safe driving techniques??
5. Ask your local independent insurance agent if your age allows you any discounts off your insurance premium. Many studies have shown that, much like fine wine or an aged cheese, drivers tend to get better with age. Your insurance carrier may offer you a discount for being a long-term driver, giving you a discount each time you pass the age milestones they have set. But remember, if you do not ask your agent about this, you could be over- paying.
6. I think it’s a great idea if you ask for a list of what insurance carriers offer for discounts. You should note every discount that might apply to your present situation. I’m sure you want the best coverage at the best price, so sometimes it’s as easy as asking.
7. With many insurance carriers, teenagers have to pay more (usually) for auto insurance rates because of their higher accident probability. This is because they are considered to be high risk drivers due to their lack of experience. In order to make auto insurance more affordable for teenagers and youthful drivers, it may be wise to add them on the same insurance with more experienced drivers, such as their father or mothers insurance policy because that’s where it’s going to be the least expensive for that youthful driver.
8. Keep in mind this next one in mind if you’re looking to make a new car purchase. When shopping for a vehicle, be sure to keep in mind the type of car and the year of the car because it could significantly affect your auto insurance rates. Furthermore, since we live in Connecticut, these two factors also affect our car tax bill too. So while you may have your heart set on an SUV, you might want to check just how much it is going to cost you to insure before you spend all of the money on your new SUV.
In conclusion, many people are intimidated when it comes to buying auto insurance especially when someone who has never purchased a policy before. But hopefully after learning and applying some of these insurance buying tips, it’s not as bad as you once thought it would be. It does require research, energy, and effort (and some common sense on your end) to find the best coverage at the best rate. It’s my hope that you take the time to call us here at Paradiso Insurance you are worth more than 15 minutes with us and we promise to work hard for you! Call us today at 860-684-5270!